Easy Gluten Free Corn Bread Recipe (better than a box!)
Whip up this easy gluten free cornbread recipe that tastes better than a box mix! No one will believe it’s gluten free. This sweet corn bread recipe only takes a handful of ingredients and can be made as a side for chili within 30 minutes from start to finish.
I have so many good memories around cornbread for some reason. Isn’t it kind of crazy how food can transport you back to a time and place and feeling?
I most often think of my older sister when I eat cornbread.
She introduced me to cornbread for breakfast…
The day after the Jiffy cornbread was eaten with chili (that’s the only time we ever had cornbread in our family), my sister would have some leftovers for breakfast.
She’d heat it up in a bowl, add butter and honey, and pour milk over the top.
It is SO good.
But as I entered a gluten free journey later in life, good ol’ box cornbread was a no-no. They have gluten free options now, but for years the only way to get my cornbread fix in was to bake it myself from scratch.
This recipe is ridiculously easy. You basically put everything in a bowl and mix.
Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links. I may earn a small commission if you make a purchase, but you will not be charged a penny extra! And mama, I never recommend products I don’t love or believe in. I so appreciate your support)
It’s a little fluffy, a little crumbly, a little sweet, and just like the boxed cornbread was from my childhood (at least how I remember it. I haven’t had gluten in a loooooong time).
So here’s a great option, healthified and de-glutenized for you to enjoy with chili (maybe this SWEET POTATO CHILI) and/or for breakfast.
Two birds, one stone.
Sweet Gluten Free Corn Bread
Whip up this easy gluten free corn bread recipe that tastes better than a box mix! No one will believe it's gluten free. This sweet corn bread recipe only takes a handful of ingredients and can be made as a side for chili within 30 minutes from start to finish.
- 1 ¼ cups corn meal
- ¾ cup brown rice flour + ½ tsp xanthan gum OR 3/4 cup gluten free flour blend
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup coconut sugar or cane sugar
- ¼ cup melted grass-fed butter, cooled slightly, or oil (avocado or grapeseed work well)
- 2 eggs (flax eggs will also work)
- 1 ¼ cup cashew milk or milk of choice
- 1 tablespoon avocado or light flavored oil for the pan
- Add 1 tablespoon of oil to the 10 inch cast iron skillet or 8x8 dish
- Place skillet or dish in the oven while you pre-heat it to 375 degrees Fahrenheit
- In a medium bowl, mix together the cornmeal, brown rice flour, xanthan gum, baking soda, salt, and sugar
- Add in the butter first, then milk, and then the eggs to help cool the butter so you don’t get chunks of scrambled egg (bleh)
- Mix until fully incorporated and there are no clumps
- Carefully take out the hot skillet and pour batter in, smoothing the top
- Bake for 22-26 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean
- Allow it to cool for 10 minutes before cutting to maintain shape
Leave a Reply