Gluten Free Vanilla Cupcakes for Two (with a Dairy Free Option)
Just need dessert for two?
You gotta try this easy one bowl recipe for gluten free vanilla cupcakes. They’re soft, fluffy, and have delicious vanilla flavor. You can’t even tell they’re gluten free.
Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links. I may earn a small commission if you make a purchase, but you will not be charged a penny extra! And mama, I never recommend products I don’t love or believe in.
This is a recipe you want to keep in your back pocket for so many reasons.
When you want a cupcake, but if you make a whole batch, you’ll eat
all most of them.
When your gluten free kid goes to a birthday party and wants to enjoy cake with their friends, too.
When it’s been a rough day and you need a little pick-me up cupcake sandwich during nap time.
I’m not kidding when I say these gluten free vanilla cupcakes taste amazing. They’re everything a cupcake should be.
Light, fluffy, moist.
You won’t be able to tell they’re gluten free. And if you’re sharing, they won’t be able to tell either.
What flour to use for vanilla gluten free cupcakes
Here are the tips I tell people for all things gluten free flour:
- Use a rice-based gluten free flour blend (like this one I make for CHEAP or this one you can buy in a pinch).
- DON’T use blends with garbanzo bean flour. This tastes so bad to most people. It’s a classic tell-tale sign of something being off.
Note: When it comes to measuring your flour, use the measuring cup to scoop the flour out and then level it off. If you spoon the flour in, you’ll end up with less flour overall.
Need four? Double the recipe
This one doubles easily and well.
The only thing you don’t need to double is the egg. One egg will be enough for a double batch.
Keep them simple or go all fancy
Sometimes you can’t beat plain vanilla cake.
But if you want to mix it up, this cupcake recipe is the perfect base.
You can add all kids of fun things to these cupcakes. Here are some ideas.
- Chopped nuts and cinnamon
- Sprinkles for a funfetti spin
- Chocolate chips
- Fresh strawberries
Go preheat your oven to 350 degrees F and grab a bowl. You need to try out this recipe to see how well it works 😉
- 2 Tablespoons organic cane sugar or coconut sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 Tablespoons melted butter or oil
- 1/4 cup gluten free flour blend
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- Pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract or 1 teaspoon vanilla protein powder
- 1 Tablespoon milk (dairy-free works great)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line two muffin tins with silicone or paper cupcake liners.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the egg and sugar for 30 seconds. Pour in butter or oil and whisk thoroughly again.
- Add in the gluten free flour, pinch of salt, baking soda, milk, and vanilla. Mix well.
- Divide the batter evenly into the cupcake liners and gently smooth the tops.
- Bake them in the oven for 16-20 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean from the center.
- Allow to cool and frost as desired!
I used whipping cream to "frost" these ones, making it extra easy.